FOR WINTER GAMES AND SUMMER GAMES HOUSES, CONDOS, HOMES and MORE, CALL NOW...(917) 224 1231 or Contact Us
PYEONG CHANG & TOKYO SUMMER / WINTER Games 2018-2020Summer Games Hotels Coming Soon
Pyeongchang Winter Games 2018
The 2018 Winter Olympics, officially known as the XXIII Olympic Winter Games, is a winter multi-sport event scheduled to take place in Pyeongchang, South Korea, between 9 and 25 February 2018. The elected host city was announced on 6 July 2011 by the International Olympic Committee (IOC), after the 123rd IOC Session in Durban. Other candidates that applied to host the games were Annecy, France and Munich, Germany.
Pyeongchang won on its third consecutive bid, having lost previously to Vancouver, Canada and Sochi, Russia. It will be the first Winter Olympic Games and second Olympic Games in South Korea; the 1988 Summer Olympics were held in Seoul. It will also be the 6th Olympic Games in the Far East (after the 1964 Summer Olympics, the 1972 Winter Olympics, the 1988 Summer Olympics, the 1998 Winter Olympics and the 2008 Summer Olympics), and the third Winter Oympic Games there (after the 1972 Winter Olympics and the 1998 Winter Olympics).
On August 5, 2011, the IOC announced the formation of the Pyeongchang 2018 Coordination Commission. On October 4, 2011, it was announced that the Organizing Committee for the 2018 Winter Olympics will be headed by Jin-Sun Kim. The PyeongChang Organizing Committee for the 2018 Olympic & Paralympic Winter Games (POCOG) was launched at its inaugural assembly on October 19, 2011. The first tasks of the organizing committee will be to put together a master plan for the games as well as forming a design for the venues. The IOC Coordination Commission for the 2018 Winter Olympics made their first visit to PyeongChang in March 2012. By March 2012, construction was already underway on the Olympic Village.
In June 2012, construction began on a high speed rail line that connects Pyeongchang to Seoul.
The International Paralympic Committee met with the Pyeongchang 2018 organizing committee for an orientation in July 2012.
The Alpensia Resort in Daegwallyeong-myeon will be the focus of the 2018 Pyeongchang Winter Olympics.
- Olympic Park of Hoenggye – Ceremonies
- Alpensia Ski Jumping Stadium – Ski jumping, Nordic combined
- Alpensia Biathlon Centre – Biathlon
- Alpensia Nordic Centre – Cross-country skiing, Nordic combined
- Alpensia Sliding Centre – Luge, Bobsleigh, and Skeleton
- Olympic Village
- Yongpyong Resort – Alpine Skiing (Slalom, Giant Slalom)
The coastal cluster is located in the city of Gangneung
- Gangneung Indoor Ice Rink – Curling
- Union Hockey Centre – Ice Hockey (temporary)
- TBD Gangneung Sports Complex Speed Skating facility - Speed skating
- Gyeongpo Ice Hall – Short track speed skating and Figure skating
- TBD – Ice Hockey (second facility)
- Stand-alone venues
- Bokwang Phoenix Park – Freestyle skiing and Snowboard
- Jungbong – Alpine skiing (downhill, Super-G, and Combined)